An Antiquarian Book of Crochet Patterns For Nightgown Yokes, Slippers, Edgings, Insertions, Medallions, Slippers, Millinery Trimmings, and More.
Here we have a wonderful old book called My Trousseau, Showing the Crochet Work In It’s Lingerie & Linens. This was Book No 4 by Anna Valeire. The book was published by EC Spuehler in St. Louis, MO. The book is 16 pages long counting the covers, and it is illustrated in black and white. The book is undated but I would guess it to be from the Edwardian era. It might be older than that; it might be newer than that. However the use of the word “Trousseau” in the title is a dead giveaway that this is not a contemporary crochet book– never mind the sweet, lovely, old-fashioned lingerie designs. These gals probably would have been scandalized at our idea of lingerie in the twenty-first century!
The designs shown in this book are gorgeous. There are yokes, an apron, a boudoir cap, slippers (2 different styles), a table runner, a doily, some insertions, some medallions, some edgings including a spectacular fringed edging and a gorgeous scalloped pillowcase edging, some corners, some kerchiefs, and some amazing crochet flowers– carnation, edelweiss, daisy, and cherries. The instructions mention using them to trim millinery. I bet you could come up with a lot of creative ways to use them, and they are lovely!
Also noteworthy is the “Window shade edging”, featuring little crocheted balls that resemble the pompoms on a pompom fringe.
The back cover of the book is an ad for other crochet, tatting, knitting, and needlework books that were available at the time. These are shown in miniature scale, and they are fun to look at. I always enjoy these, considering they give you ideas for what else to go looking for on the internet.
More Crochet Resources You Should Know About:
- Crochet Edgings for Blankets
- Knit and Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- Knit and Crochet Scarf Patterns
- Crochet Blanket Patterns
- More Vintage Crochet Patterns and Books
- How to Crochet Picot Stitch
- How to Crochet Afghan Stitch
- All About Crochet Puff Stitch: Free Instructions and Patterns
- Free Shell Stitch Crochet Patterns and Tutorials
- How to Crochet the Chain Stitch — Free Instructions
- How to Crochet the Slip Stitch (Free Tutorial)
- Single Crochet Stitch (Free Tutorial)
- Free Half Double Crochet Stitch Instructions
- Free Double Crochet Stitch Tutorial
- Free Treble Crochet Stitch Tutorial
This page was last updated on 6-6-2019.